Join Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Tex.) and the International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES) for the second event of a new breakfast briefing series exploring each element of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) #5, “Achieve Gender Equality and Empower All Women and Girls.”
Eliminate All Forms of Violence
Against All Women and Girls
In the wake of the Weinstein scandal, millions of women (and men) took to social media to speak out against sexual harassment and violence. Sexual violence and harassment against women take place in the home as well as in the workplace, including in state and national legislatures. It is a global issue, affecting women’s health, professional lives and involvement in public leadership worldwide.
Sustainable Goal 5 has identified the need to eliminate violence against women and girls globally. Join us as we discuss this global call to action as it relates to recognizing violence against women and girls in the workplace and in politics, in the US and internationally, and how male and female policy makers can enact change.
- Leila Milani, Sr. International Policy Advocate, Futures Without Violence
- Rebecca Gale, Award-winning journalist and contributing writer to Slate's Better Life Lab
- Judy Gearhart, Executive Director, International Labor Rights Forum
- Cassandra Waters, Global Worker Rights Specialist, AFL-CIO
- Tarana Burke, Founder and Director, Just Be Inc., and Creator of the #MeToo Movement
A light breakfast will be served.