Webinar Series: Administering Elections in Europe During a Pandemic
The current COVID-19 crisis has led to many election postponements in Central and Eastern Europe, including the referendum in Armenia, Senate by-elections in the Czech Republic, presidential elections in Poland, parliamentary elections in North Macedonia, local elections in Romania and parliamentary elections in Serbia.
While public health concerns remain present and the future unclear, there are indications that some of these elections may be rescheduled for the coming months. As the pandemic is unlikely to end in the near term, this raises key issues of if and how election administrators can prepare and hold elections safely during an ongoing pandemic.
In partnership with election management bodies (EMBs) and experts throughout the region, the International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES) and partner organizations will host a series of webinars on the administration of elections, to complement IFES guidance on holding elections during the current pandemic and how EMBs can best prepare.
We look forward to your participation in this timely and interesting discussion. To help ensure an engaging dialogue, IFES will provide simultaneous interpretation in six languages. Please see below the table of available languages on Zoom, as the platform has a limited availability of language labels.
|Interpretation Language||Zoom Language|
|South Slavic Language||Spanish|
Session 1: Perspectives From Electoral Stakeholders – Wednesday, May 20, 14:00-15:30 CET/8:00-9:30 a.m. EDT – will feature the following speakers:
- Beata Martin-Rozumilowicz, Regional Director for Europe and Eurasia, IFES
- Admir Shabani, Head of Sector for Continuous Training, Public Outreach and International Collaboration, State Election Commission of North Macedonia
- Serhii Postivy, member of the Central Election Commission of Ukraine
- Karine Grigoryan, President and Executive Director, Agate Rights Defense Center for Women with Disabilities, Armenia
- Rastò Kužel, Executive Director, MEMO98, Slovakia
- Staffan Darnolf, Senior Global Electoral Operations and Administration Advisor, IFES
Please RSVP to receive the Zoom link.
For more information, visit IFES’ online hub, COVID-19: A Survival Guide for Democracies, and read the new paper, IFES COVID-19 Briefing Series: Safeguarding Health and Elections.