Webinar Series: Democratic Resilience in Europe During a Pandemic
Much like other organizations, entities and communities around the world, the International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES) and its beneficiaries have been deeply impacted by the novel coronavirus crisis.
With most in-person events and activities canceled or postponed due to restrictions on travel and large gatherings of people, IFES swiftly embraced this challenge and opportunity within its “Regional Elections Administration and Political Processes Strengthening” (REAPPS) program. In response to the new environment, IFES’ Regional Europe Office in Prague, Czech Republic, quickly adapted in-person events to online webinars and meetings to continue programming and ensure continued engagement of key electoral stakeholders across the Europe and Eurasia region.
The REAPPS team developed and launched a dedicated webinar series for international election practitioners, observers and donors. To date, Democratic Resilience in Europe During a Pandemic (formerly Administering Elections in Europe During a Pandemic) has held multiple dedicated webinars, each focusing on salient issues. The series has received broad interest and high-level participation from more than 35 countries, due in part to its revolving relevant topics and expert panelists who address key issues developing across electoral environments during the pandemic. This feature is complemented by the webinar’s greater engagement of non-English speakers as each webinar is simultaneously translated into multiple languages. The webinar series has delivered an array of international good practices and recommendations from experts on protecting electoral integrity during the pandemic. These insights have provided integral input to the actions of election management bodies, observers and advocacy groups, especially those poised to conduct elections in the period following webinar participation.
Since early 2020, IFES has held regular webinars focused on issues related to electoral processes in Europe, within the context of the pandemic. The webinars have gathered participants from more than 40 countries and focused on a wide range of issues. The webinar series will return in late September 2021. Please stay tuned.
- Slovak Parliamentary Elections in an Era of Disinformation: Post-Election Debrief
- Administering Elections in Europe During a Pandemic
- Preserving Electoral Integrity During an Infodemic
- Promoting Digital Youth Civic Engagement
- How to Build a Democracy that’s Designed for All?: Promoting Access and Inclusion of Persons with Disabilities
- Safeguarding Electoral Integrity Through Better Cybersecurity
- Recent European Elections During the Pandemic: Georgia, Moldova, Romania and Ukraine
- Gender Dimensions of Disinformation in Elections, Politics and the Digital Information Space
- Democratic Resilience After One Year of the Pandemic
- Abuse of State Resources: Risks and Solutions
- Recent Elections in Albania, Bulgaria and Cyprus During the Pandemic
- Electoral Justice in Europe During the Pandemic