Elections in Ecuador: February 17 Presidential & Legislative Elections
Ecuador is holding presidential and legislative elections on February 17. It is believed that incumbent President Rafael Correa, whose left-center administration is aligned with other leftist governments in Latin America, will once again receive the majority of votes. Since he was first elected in 2006, Correa and his party have won a number of elections, including a constitutional referendum (2007), the 2007 legislative elections, the 2009 presidential poll and a vote on constitutional amendments (2011).
IFES’ frequently asked questions (FAQs) Elections in Ecuador: February 17 Presidential & Legislative Elections provide insight into the electoral system in Ecuador. Among the questions answered are:
- How is Ecuador organized politically?
- What are the main political parties?
- Who is running for president and vice president?
- What accommodations will there be for voters with disabilities?
- Can Ecuadorians who reside abroad vote in the elections?
- Is electoral observation allowed? How is it regulated?
Oprima aquí para la version en español.
Read about IFES’ work in the Americas.