Kenya is a representative democratic republic in which the president is both head of state and the government. In 2010, the people of Kenya adopted a new constitution establishing a multi-party system and the establishment of a new independent election management body, the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC), among other reforms.
Since 1992, IFES has supported democratic development in Kenya, leveraging a deep understanding of the Kenyan political context, strong relationships with local partners and applying a broad, integrated approach to civic participation, elections and governance. IFES has partnered with the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), Global Affairs Canada (GAC) and Kenyan public institutions and civil society organizations to deliver effective, impartial and expert solutions. Central to IFES’ work in Kenya has been building the capacity of the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) to deliver credible elections.
IFES has assisted the IEBC and the people of Kenya by:
- Increasing civic education and engagement, including targeted voter registration and voter education campaigns, which increased turnout by 10 percent in the 2017 election.
- Promoting peaceful, inclusive political participation, with an emphasis on increasing the inclusion of traditionally marginalized people such as women, youth and people with disabilities.
- Enhancing dialogue, consensus-building, conflict prevention, mediation and mitigation efforts.
- Developing forward-looking communication strategies utilizing national nonpartisan public opinion surveys before and after the elections, as well as social media analysis.
- Conducting rigorous, independent and data-driven evaluations of the electoral management body’s management and operations.
- Supporting meaningful electoral reform in legal frameworks and processes.
- Improving election technology, voter registration, civic education, results transmission, oversight of political parties, and dispute resolution.
Explore the links on this page to learn more about IFES solutions in Kenya, including the Kenya Electoral Assistance Program (KEAP) and Global Elections and Political Transitions funded by USAID and the Kenya Electoral System Support (KESS) project funded by GAC.
IFES is legally registered and maintains excellent standing with its partners and stakeholders in Kenya.