Fact Sheet: Nomination Process in Pakistan
The Election Commission of Pakistan must publish the official schedule for elections to the National and/or Provincial Assemblies in the National Gazette no more than 30 days after the President announces the election date(s).
The candidate nomination process is the key component of the official election schedule and encompasses the following:
- Filing of nomination papers with Returning Officers (ROs) by the candidates;
- Scrutiny of nomination papers by the ROs;
- Filing of appeals against acceptance or rejection of the nomination paper;
- Decisions on appeals by Appellate Tribunals;
- Last date for withdrawal of candidature;
- Last date for publication of revised list of candidates; and
- The date or dates of the poll(s).